Thursday, December 17, 2009

Egyptian Winged Sun


The Egyptian version of the winged sun. There are various renditions of the winged sun. The wings are those of Horus he is known as the Sun God or the Sky God. At one time Horus was both the God of the sun and the moon, but later he will only rein over the sun which is seen as superior over the moon.

Sometimes there is a depiction of the sun with an asp on each side of the sun. We will take a look at some of those images too.

You may recall that in other areas of the world people have created images of the sun "flying" across the sky in cart, carriages, and even barges. Isn't it all so interesting? It is to me.

4 comments:

  1. I think I prefer the sun with wings, not sure I would understand the message of it being in a cart or carriage, to me that would almost look as if someone wanted to capture it. I like the freedom the wings depict.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there,

    Thanks so much for following me---I came over to return the favor! I'm now your newest follower.

    Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting that he chose the Sun to be superior over the moon. I think I would have made the same choice. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, the sun is "GOLDEN" and the moon is "Silver". I am on a mission to find out when the sun was designated masculine.

    I do know at one time the sun not masculine. There are only a few religions, sects that do not designate the sun as masculine.

    I think it has to do with hunting. Once (if I ever) find the answer I will post it.

    ReplyDelete